UL BANNER

2/03/2011

New Acquisitions: The Sorcerer's Skull and Others

Robert E. who? At least now we know where Trey gets his
material from. :-)

 Kinda wishing they had the first volume of Vardeman's series there. 
I mean, World of Mazes? It doesn't get more D&D-tastic than that.

 I've been hearing about this series for a while and just
happened to spot the first volume today. Great cover.

This is a collection of Aldiss novelettes. Again, this
cover is completely awesome despite the scuffing.

 
I love CLM's Jirel stuff, and I'd heard of this
character for quite a while, so it was yet
another Must-Grab.
 
This is a highly influential 19th Century novel that
details the thousand-year escapades of an
undying/re-morting Phoenician adventurer.

5 comments:

  1. I don't read enough of this kind of classic. They look like they'd have little in the way of predictable inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pork: Hit up my Appendix N if you're looking for a "new" old read:

    http://gorgonmilk.blogspot.com/p/gorgonmilks-appendix-n.html

    I can wholeheartedly recommend all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first book in the Cenotaph Road series, but I'm missing #5 out of the six and want to pick it up before continuing the series. Vardeman isn't exactly the greatest prose stylist in the world, but he does have some cool ideas. I think he'd make a hell of a DM and in fact, the protagonist of the series is so described that it's obvious the author patterned him on the AD&D Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Northwest Smith is great stuff, especially Shambleau, a truly weird and wonderful story. Vardeman's Cenotaph Road series is uneven, but interesting and James is right--there are some interesting ideas in there that you might have fun mining...and yeah, it does feel very much like the excerpts from an AD&D campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shambleau is truly a classic story. I greatly enjoyed it and reread it often. There's a sense of mysticism not seen in many tales of that time.

    Lazarus Lupin
    http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
    art and review

    ReplyDelete