UL BANNER

3/14/2011

Class and Race Proportions in OSR Campaigns

I was thinking about this last night during my Boondocks brainstorming session with Andy T. I wanted a precise way of talking about how rare races and classes are relative to each other. Short of a pie chart, this seemed like the way to go:

For every 100 fighters there are...
  • 80 thieves[1]
  • 20 acolytes (cultists)[2]
  • 1 magic-user
For every 100  humans there are...
  • 20 half-men[3]
  • 10 beast-men
  • 1 jhen[4]
How does this compare to your campaigns? What do you think "standard" D&D proportions would be?

_______________
1. This does not include robbers or highwaymen.
2. Boondocks cleric equivalent.
3. Boondocks dwarf equivalent.
4. Boondocks elf equivalent.

4 comments:

  1. I don't run a D&D campaign, but if I did, I'd probably break the numbers down by class, so humans make up about 63% of the population, with elves, dwarves and halflings making up about 12% or 13% each.

    It's rough and ready, but it would do in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that that is close to my currenty campaign as far as classes go, with there slightly less rogues, but none of my players has opted to play anything but a human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yezmyr is roughly 75% fighting-men and 25% sorcerers. There aren't any thieves or clerics.

    As for racial breakdowns, it's 80% humans, 20% chitinous men. The humans breakdown further into high men (40%), low men (55%), and earth men (5%).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig it.

    I use the term "half-men" in my campaign, too - it's a human catch-all category that includes dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and pretty much anything else that's short. Most humans don't see much difference between them.

    ReplyDelete