UL BANNER

3/30/2013

Petty Gods: Shuffling, Expanding Content

Be it known that -- with the upcoming release of Original PETTY GODS [OPG] (edited by James Maliszewski and designed by Peter Gifford) on April 1st -- I have begun to reassess the contents of our own Expanded PETTY GODS [XPG].

  • While some of the gods from OPG will be found in XPG, I want the content of OPG and XPG to be distinct. So a number of my favorites from OPG will find their way into the new book, and the rest will be particular to OPG.
  • Another advantage of this decision is that it will create MORE ROOM FOR THE NEW STUFF that is accumulating. That's exciting because I'd love a whole section devoted to the Cult of the White Shadow (thanks again, Chuck).
  • I may un-brick the gate for new deity submissions soon.
  • Random item ideas I would like fleshed out and submitted (call dibs in the comments): 
(1) Unicorn horns -- powers vary by color of unicorn --
white, gray, black, rainbow

(2) Eidolons (radiantly magical stone figures)
of fear, hate, sleep, and illusion

(3) Masks that alter the personality of the wearer
irrevocably in exchange for power

13 comments:

  1. Looking at this intention to create more separation, might it be a good idea to actually title them original/expanded (or now perhaps "More Petty Gods") and use different cover art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thomas Denmark cover is a must! But I could always alter the title by adding a qualifier like "Expanded" or something similar.

      Delete
  2. My only thought here, is that a lot of the original participants were probably kinda stoked that they would appear in a book with MM, et al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. But those same folks can contribute more material to XPG and still be in the book. And there are more community book projects on the way that will have high-profile guests writers and artists.

      Delete
  3. A small suggestion: A d100 table (or whatever works) to randomly select godlings. (Perhaps separate tables for the L, N & C gods?) Would be awesome!

    "And you come across a shrine of ... d100 ... Ogrimox, Lord of Pustules."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea!

      Can you write up Ogrimox?

      Delete
  4. If no o one is going to do the Unicorn horns or Masks, I might be inclined to do those, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've received a couple great masks, but I could always do with a Matt Schmeerian take.

      Delete
  5. If you unblock the godlings let me know. I have something up my sleeve that I think you'll be interested in. Covers all three categories too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on. I'll make an announcement re new deity submissions soon.

      Delete