UL BANNER

8/25/2013

A New Vancian Supplement from LotFP

My copies of LotFP's Rules & Magic and The Seclusium of Orphone arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. I've had the PDFs for a while, but I held off reading Seclusium till I had the book in my hands. This is my first exposure to the work of D. Vincent Baker, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I had an inkling that the book had Vancian overtones, and being a sucker for that sort of thing I knew I needed to have it in my collection. 


Baker openly acknowledges the book's Vancian inspirations. What he sets out to do -- quite successfully -- is provide the referee with a guide for creating abandoned (or partially abandoned) and secluded wizard mansions for curious and greedy player characters to explore. While many details are provided the book's overall approach is open-ended -- leaving much of the final orchestration and invention in the hands of the ref. 

Seclusium is not a module -- it gives you three examples of "vulnerable" wizard cribs with loads of options for developing them. I love this "Madlibs" style -- you fill in the blanks and fiddle with the material to produce your own unique manse. Orphone herself will differ according to the tastes of the referee.

Physically Seclusium is a beautifully crafted 8.5" x 6" hardcover that matches the high design standards of previous LotFP hardbacks like Isle of the Unknown and Vornheim. James Raggi the Writer gets a lot of flack that may or may not be deserved, but Raggi the Publisher is making all the right moves IMHO. Not many tabletop RPG companies are producing books of this quality right now. Orphone, Carcosa, Vornheim -- these are at the top of the stack in terms of art, design and production quality. Even if you object to the approach/style of these works, it's difficult to find more attractive fantasy RPG books.



3 comments:

  1. I rather liked it too! So I made a worksheet to use with the book:

    http://blessingsofthedicegods.blogspot.com/2013/07/seclusium-construction-worksheets.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! I'm sure they could use some tweaking, both in terms of appearance and usability, and honestly, an Abulafia randomizer might be more useful than worksheets, but I didn't want to extract everything cool from the book.

      Delete