WORMSKIN

10/23/2013

Underworld Lore: Submit to the Zine, Earn Points in Gamer Valhalla

A huge, heartfelt thanks to all the folks who palpated their imagination glands and contributed to the first issue of UNDERWORLD LORE. Working with you guys and gals is like being a part of my own Lovecraft Circle -- and I guess that would make Matthew Schmeer our official HPL -- that man's creative output is truly Cyclopean! 

Truth: I have struggled with the task of collating and laying out PETTY GODS. As time goes by and this great material continues to collect dust, my guilt grows. This is a problem that I am actively using UNDERWORLD LORE to address. By serializing the Gods in each issue, I get to share the great writing and art and (by extension) HUGE FUCKING GOD-MONSTERS with you all.

Q: What's in store for UNDERWORLD LORE?

A: After issue #2 we'll be dedicating each issue to a particular theme (see below). If you've got input and/or material in mind that you'd like to share in the zine, contact me [flowthrake AT gmail DOT com] and we'll figure it out together. Each issue will come packed with at least one D30 table -- both new stuff and projects that we've put together through this blog already. I don't care if you're one of these sad sacks who say they're sick of tables -- You obviously haven't seen the sick stuff we're packing into UNDERWORLD LORE, where each entry is a revelation unto itself. And that kind of sums up what we're doing: Taking tried-and-true formats and illuminating them like monks tripping on LSA-drenched baked goods. It's not always ever going to be pretty. If you want sterilized and proper PG-rated RPG products, there are plenty of options out there. UNDERWORLD LORE isn't afraid of a little potty humor or Satanic Panic. In fact, we kind of like that stuff.

UL ISSUE THEMES:

  • #3 is the Hyborian Issue. Includes James Mishler's masterful write-up for CROM, god of the mountain; some monsters inspired by the writings of Robert E. Howard; random breast-size generation chart inspired by Dave Hargrave (male and female versions!); an article on the Chainmail Bikini as practical dungeon-gear; and more!
  • #4 is the Occult Issue. New spells from hag-magic to reality-alteration; sources of Magical Power; rules for wizard-cults (coteries); some PETTY GODS of magic; and (you guessed it) more!
  • #5 is open for suggestions!
  • #6 is the Vancian Issue [edit]
  • #7 is the Dunsanian Issue [edit]
Here's a sneak-peak at the cover for Issue #2:


14 comments:

  1. I imagine that "system neutral" is always cool. Otherwise, what systems do you want for your zine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say System Neutral with a bias toward old-school rules. As a for-instance: Any stuff I get from here on out that calls for three-fold model saving throws (fortitude/reflex/will) will be altered to a "versus"-style save.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suggestions:

    Clark Ashton Smith Issue/ Averoigne, etc.

    Bandits and Highwaymen issue

    Slimes, Molds, Oozes, etc. issue

    http://castletriskelion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all great! If you've got specific ideas for articles or would like to submit some, please contact me: flowthrake AT gmail DOT com.

      Delete
    2. Let me chew on that and I will get back to you.

      Delete
  4. Hey--why not take my ideas for RENT ASUNDER! and bring them into the zine? My zine idea has been lingering on the back burner but I have a whole bunch of stuff in a folder on my hard drive that I got permission to use from a wide swatch of the OSR. I can re-request permission to use them in UNDERWORLD LORE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First: Great zine! I love it. And at least one gygaxian democracy table per issue sounds great!
    Second: BUT...I'd really like to see petty gods soon... so, should I blame the Underworld Lore for it beeing late? ;)
    (Just kidding, great work and take your time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, rorschachhamster! There will be at least one Petty God in each issue, so hey! There's that!

      Delete
  6. Well I know I missed the boat on Petty Gods but I've been meaning to write Lord Sunsany, petty god of gnoles. How 'bout a Dunsany issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant idea, Mike! Write up Lord Sunsany and send him my way.

      Delete
  7. Do you still need content for the occult issue? Because I just had an idea I could work out a little further...

    ReplyDelete